Content

The General George S. Patton Museum: Fort Knox, KY

It was just over twenty years ago that I joined the Army and shipped off to Fort Knox for basic training at Echo 2-46. I returned to Fort Knox yesterday, and while it's a closed post, I was still able to enjoy part of my basic training experience again. It was family weekend, where the Army introduces families to the new life of a soldier. Families get to spend time with their recruit, meet the drill sergeants, watch the platoons compete in a drill and ceremony competition, and then families are allowed a weekend to spend with their recruits around Fort Knox and in the nearby communities.

One of the things my family did was enjoy the George S. Patton museum. I stopped by Fort Knox yesterday to the Fort Knox Museum. Currently the museum in under renovation, so one of the wings is off limits. There wasn't much to see, and it appears there are less tanks and armored vehicles in the area to enjoy.

There are still some great historic artifacts to enjoy in the museum. Probably one of the most impressive pieces in the collection is General Patton's leather jacket that he war during the Battle of the Bulge. His original dress blues are in the collection as well.

It appears to me, possibly since 9/11, the security needed for the post has been built up around the museum, so it's not the most welcoming museum to get into. That's to be expected. The museum is surrounded by an iron curtain, which I don't recall when I was stationed there.

I did take video of the open sections of the museum and the tanks, armored vehicles, and artillery (Little Bertha) that are outside of the museum for visitors to enjoy. Here is a seven minute tour of the George S. Patton Museum.